14 December 2011

Take The Elevator.







By myself I stood, in this metal box-room. Four metal walls that trapped me like a caged animal. On the adjacent wall; a red poster about ‘feelings’ flirted with me, it said “don’t hide away your emotions, set them free!” – Ironic considering the current setting. I was stood to the right of the elevator watching the number on the wall slowly decrease until it stops at ground floor. I was going to the basement. With no one around the shop at this late hour it was quite surprising when a man walked into the elevator with me and stood to the left staring at the door as it closed. He wore a large trench coat that was beige in colour; his hair was black and oily, flattened down to his odd-shaped scalp and his expression was emotionless. He hid both his hands inside the coat and due to his posture; I could tell he was carrying something awkward. He glanced over to me for a split second; it was a look that would unnerve anyone. I searched him with my eyes and came to the obvious conclusion that it was a heavy object, perhaps made of metal. The light flickered and turned this coffin-like lift into an even more threatening place. I wanted to escape. The man took the perfect opportunity to look move as the light stopped working, blackness shrouded me and I didn’t know where he was. I took a step back and met the cold, hard metal wall with a thud, panicking, I stopped and listened as I thought I heard a footstep in front of me. He was right there about to hurt me, I closed my eyes and let the darkness blend into blackness, but nothing happened. Quizzically, I stood and peered in front of me to see nothing, but when there was another flicker and the angelic light flooded the elevator the man had gone, the door was open, leading down a corridor. I stepped out and looked for a devil that wasn’t there. Perhaps I was mislead. Perhaps not.


>G

No comments:

Post a Comment