5 January 2012

A new year, right?







Every year. EVERY SINGLE YEAR I swear to abide by the fundamental laws of New Year Resolutions. No more. I have finally stopped caving to the peer pressure of making them, and have simply given up. And it's surprisingly sweet, an almost tangeable relief.
I'm not going to promise to 'stop biting my nails' or to 'lead a healthier life' or to 'stop punching my sister when she steals my clothes'. Or 'stop hitting my brother' for that matter. Because, there is no way I'd be able to keep those promises.
And when people say to me: 'HEY, WHAT'S YOUR NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTION?"
I don't have to make my chin jut out proudly or stick my chest out to mask vulnerability, because I can simply say: "I didn't make any."
I'm breaking with tradition. New year, new me, and all that rubbish. Nobody ever keeps that principle, me included, but we can try, can't we? Yeah, it's futile-no point in trying to argue that, but making a promise you know you're not going to keep is simply a let down to yourself. Because deep down, you know your self-control isn't that good. Nobody's is.
We're only human.
~H

No comments:

Post a Comment