9 January 2012

D - Deterrence








We require your help, 0.”
The words resounded around the unlit building like a metallic war drum, calling me to aid them. The relaxing cold darkness kept me from view as I inhaled, the acidic taste of rust prominent in my mouth. I would not have it any other way; I am obscure, the last thing they never see. I am the shadow of every room, with a thousand guises.
I raise my head to speak, “Why should I do this for you?” The suited blonde man tilted his head, a mirthless bitter laugh escaping his pale lips. His façade was unconvincing; I saw that his hands were pale and shaking.
Why? Because if you don't, the entire world will fall into ruin,” his wrinkled, ice-blue eyes stared blankly into my cloak of umbra, as if he were trying to pinpoint me. I considered this point – the time was mine to spend.
Tell me Mr Craynor, do you have a family?” It meant nothing to me on a personal level, but I believed there was more to the man.
Mr Craynor sighed and bowed his head, “Yes, a wife and two children.” Always an ulterior incentive.
Surely you have been allocated a place in a shelter?” A glint of defiance scintillated in his callous eyes.
Yes, but a post-apocalyptic wasteland is nowhere to raise a-”
So, you would rather have me do this for you for your family, than in a professional sense for your superiors?” I had shaken his core.
Mr Craynor's gaunt face reddened in shame, even in the brumal conditions: “Yes.” He took a step towards me, “We will pay-” then froze as the click of a hammer being pulled back echoed harshly in the warehouse.
Do not insult me, Mr Craynor.” I lowered the handgun which was pointed directly at his carotid artery, just south of his neck. “I am in no need of your money. Why, I could walk away right now. You would never track me down...”
NO!” Craynor's loud voice had startled the bats, summoning an uproar of distress. “No...” he sank to his knees. This man put on a good show, but underneath, he was simply a cheap jack crying his wares.
I told you to be truthful with me from the start, Mr Craynor.” I said quietly. “Stand up.” Craynor stood ramrod upright, using one leg to push the other. I gave him a moment to gather his thoughts in his sunken head, then asked a question.
Mr Craynor, why should I do this for you?” His head snapped upwards to face me – unsure whether I was visible to him, he glared directly at me nonetheless. His face was a reflection of passionate desperation, fuelled by an engine powered by a nugget of hope.
For my family,” he begged, his smooth voice wavering, “Do it for my family.” I glanced disinterestedly at the two jet black suitcases lying on the ground.
Leave the money. I will contact you.” Mr Craynor's heartbeat was audible, pulsing like percussion. Soundlessly he about-turned and walked away.

>-S->

No comments:

Post a Comment