30 January 2012

E - End








Keep your fucking mouth shut.”
I had grabbed the sentry as he was passing by. Such a secluded location seemingly allowed no chance of an intruder. Intelligent, I thought, but not intelligent enough. My gloved hand was held tight over the sentry's mouth, though not too tightly as to incur lack of consciousness. I held a combat knife to his back, the slightly curved blade delicately close to lacerating a nerve in his spinal column. I imagined the steel must feel like an icicle in these inclement conditions.
“Do you know the best thing about snow? It muffles your screams.”
I flipped him round to face me, the knife now curled around his throbbing carotid artery. He was shaking violently.
Even try to cause something I'll disagree with, and I'll cut your spine and leave you to die paralysed in the snow. Understand?”
The sentry nodded fearfully. I removed my hand from his face, still keeping the knife firmly at his neck.
How did you-”
“Silence. I'll be asking the questions.” I glanced down his uniform; he'd pissed himself. I couldn't restrain a smile but I hid it as a grimace. “Hand me your blade.” Struggling against the force I applied to his neck, he pulled the knife from his chest strap. I snatched and threw it into the blizzard. Impatiently, I pulled the MP-443 from his holster. Backing away, I told him: “Give me your rifle.” Slowly, he slung the AK-74M from his back and threw it on the ground. Cautiously, I edged towards the weapon and grabbed it swiftly. I removed its magazine and hurled it into the snow. By this time I could see that the blizzard was easing up. Excellent. At this point I brandished a black, leather-bound suitcase I had brought with me, the only weapon apart from my combat knife.
Get changed into these,” I ordered. The sentry's eyes widened at this peculiar demand.
But-”
Now!”

The sentry was now dressed in civilian clothes. Clothes which were inadequate for the weather, but distinguished him both from snow and friend alike. For reasons unknown to him, he had been ordered to return to base by his captor. He had soiled himself in his uniform; he was at least spared that embarrassment from his comrades. He carefully descended the snow-bound slope of the hill leading from the mountain-face. He decided his superiors must be told. He looked towards the ridge where he knew a sniper was posted. He wondered if the sniper could see him. Then he heard the call: “Freeze!” and seen the soldiers aiming AK-74Ms at him, closing in.
Get down on the ground!”

I had watched the entire event from the vantage point atop the hill. It was all I needed to know.
16 minutes later, I had mirrored my captive's behaviour. I had tread the snow down to the facility; I had been caught by the garrison posted there. I was now in the middle of a compound yard, with 8 soldiers scattered unevenly around guarding me. My objective was behind the officer interrogating me; a circular titanium cover sank into the ground. I scanned left and right. At least 6 soldiers to the left judging by the steaming of their breath. 3 to the right. One either side of me.
Begin.
MP-443 right.
Draw from holster.
Semi-automatic pistol.
Hold to hostage.
1 bullet one life.
Officer goes down.
16/17.
1 bullet one life.
Soldier left.
15/17.
Confusion ahead of me.
Grenade on jacket.
Pull pin.
Push forward.
1 grenade four lives.
Three hostiles.
2 o'clock.
Retrieve AK-74M.
Fully automatic assault rifle.
17 bullets three lives.
13/30.
Eight hostiles.
9 o'clock.
Find cover.
Storage crate.
Hostile gunfire.
Strafe sideways.
13 bullets-
Click.
0/30.
MP-443.
5 bullets three lives.
10/30.
Diversion.
Left into building.
End.

I was now deep in the bowels of the nuclear beast. I kept moving despite the angered shouts behind me, my steps resonating louder than I would have liked; except there was nothing but the siren and the fiery glare of red light.
I found myself in the control centre, in the computerised cortex of this juggernaut. It appeared everyone had abandoned their stations – yet...

ICBM LAUNCH: 0:00

LAUNCHING

I had failed. For the first time I had failed. All I could do was auscult to the hissing of the hydraulics. Feel the fall. And observe oblivion.

>-S->

No comments:

Post a Comment