4 March 2012

G - Garotte








When I was young, relationships with other people were simple. I had my family, my peers and my friends. My friends were simply that - all were equal in my eyes. But after primary school and moving through adolescence, I realised that there were different degrees of friendship. There were those people who I would perhaps give a brief nod to in the corridor, and others with whom I would spend the whole of my school days if possible. Concerning some, it was as if the world had turned on its head. Some who I had been close to would not receive even a prolonged glance in their direction, although sometimes something stirred within to speak to them; I don't know why, maybe for fear of them forgetting me or not wanting to bother talking to me again.
However, as I noticed this, something was confirmed of which I had had a suspicion for a while. There were not just degrees, but there were different groups. In my life, there was and still are several. These groups are often united by their uniform interests in each other and other subjects; occasionally they stray from another group because they dislike a person in said group. I like to think of myself as a 'drifter'; alas, it is not always the case. I guess that some of my previous loyalty to my friends' attentions has made me believe that. There are some people whose friendships I neglect, and I feel bad because I don't spend enough time with them.
But, on the other side, there are always people in these groups who will say things about other friends which I disagree with. Things which, I'll be honest, sometimes make me rather angry or annoyed. The problem is, however, is that if I speak against them, then they will think I have betrayed their trust which usually is not the case. This makes me feel like my opinions are restricted, and my moral obligations to my friends mean that I cannot express myself fully.
I guess as a side-note I probably should mention interests which go beyond friendship. So far, there have been few who I have had these feelings for, and even less of those who I have succeeded in making my feelings known. Like many immersed in infatuation, it can be difficult to break away from 'that person'. And yes, I cannot say that these feelings do not influence my behaviours towards others. But we're all human, which is why I write this: we all make mistakes, but there is a fine line between that which happens as a result of mishap, and that which has its wheels deliberately set in motion. But I digress.
This is why I have called this piece of writing Garotte; speaking freely is no longer allowed. And thus the noose tightens.

>-S->

No comments:

Post a Comment